St Peter's Hamsey
St Peter's Hamsey is the original church in the parish of Hamsey.
The Domesday book of 1086 gives details of the manor of Hamsey and also add 'there was a church'. The earliest parts standing now are the nave and the chancel - both Norman and built in the 12th century.
There is a fairly continuous list of rectors -- the earliest known is Edwin from 1147.
It is a Grade 1 listed building of significant historical importance.
While St Peter's in Offham has become the main centre of worship for the parish, St Peter's Hamsey is still used for Evensong (6pm) on the first Sunday of the month between May and September, weddings, funerals and a candelit carol service.
In addition it is often used for concerts and most recently as a location for period film!
A dedicated group the Friends of Hamsey has been established to help fundraise for the conservation and continued maintenance of St Peter's Hamsey. For more information please see www.friendsofhamsey.org